When it comes to vehicle safety, the brake system is at the top of the list! Brake maintenance is critical to keeping your vehicle safely on the roads in Walled Lake.
Key warning signs of brake failure include:
- Noises – Screeching and squeaking can be caused when the brake pads become worn down. If the brake pad has worn completely away, you may notice a grinding sound when you apply the brakes. Metal on metal causes significant damage to the brake rotor, calipers, and other brake components.
- Pulling – If your vehicle’s brakes aren’t working properly, they may stay engaged when they should be released and vice versa. This can cause pulling to one side when you apply the brakes.
- Low/Soft Pedal – The brake system operates through hydraulic power. If the system loses pressure or brake fluid is leaking, the brake pedal may fall to the floor and feel soft when you press it.
- Hard Pedal – Similarly, an issue in the hydraulic system or brake fluid can create excess pressure in the system. Instead of smoothly pressing the pedal, it may become too firm and difficult to engage the brakes.
- Vibration – If your steering wheel vibrates as you apply the brakes, it could indicate an issue with the brake pads. Uneven or worn pads, or a rock or debris caught in the brake, may cause vibration.
- Grabbing/Sensitive Brakes – Unpredictable reactions when you press the brake pedal are dangerous! If your brakes are sensitive and engage in unexpected ways, have your brake system inspected by a certified technician.
- Brake Light On – Do not ignore a warning light! If the brake light appears on the dashboard, bring your vehicle in to Kenny’s Lakes Area Auto Experts for proper diagnosis. The brake light can indicate a serious issue with the brakes that should be addressed right away.
Call Kenny’s Lakes Area Auto Experts if you notice any of these symptoms: 248-668-1200. Ignoring brake issues can be extremely dangerous. Fix it early to prevent brake failure or expensive repair in the future and to keep you and your family safely on the road.